Friday, April 20, 2012

for feelings

for heroic dogs and praise

for to sir with love

for truck


for Marvin


for Billie

for entrapment of boys to become meat for empire

for welcome to the jungle soundtrack of occupying tanks crushing insurgency

for gee thanks Axl

for a moment that had only been wept for

for I can’t do what 10 people tell me to do 1

for music of the spheres

for the relief of minds who hear it first

for sweet tenor


for first sight


for baby

for ain’t to work on Maggies farm


for hum


for 96 tears


for you, I came for you


for the econoline van 2

for hauling fish such as the Menhaden Chanteymen

for 16 tons and what do you get


for cinema demands

for teenager in love

for lullaby


for debs in charge of the lost and found

forsooth?


for Joe Hill


for in the arms of my best friends wife


for the story of how you were named

for Jimmy Dale


for hear that lonesome whippoorwill

for luna

for howl

for trailers sale or rent


for Desmond Decker above all


for one love


for to smoke two joints 3

for mother in law
 4

for Mary Wells

for the milk crate of Ted Hawkins


for the helluva band in a rock’n’roll heaven

for what unsuspected winding trails of beauty you may deliver us yet

for Mount Fuji

for po may kao jai 5



for your many unguessable laughters

for and the horse you rode in on

for the blow taken and survived





for i wanna die
 6

for the malign to receive its credit eternal

for a working class hero

for Ray Davies really got me Lola’d


For donhenley is denounced in no uncertain terms

for all time

for Hotel California is a sin against ears, intellect, everything


for freely sweating and grooving

for bet I know what we like to do

for Soon As I Get Home 7

for nobody knows the trouble I've seen

for I don't know about this amazing grace

for Ben E King

for Gloria Gaynor

for I wish I was single again

my pockets would jingle 8

for jingle is the fizz of the lyric naked

to please yes, but also to insinuate and why

it is not the real thing 9

nor for simple but when you were little

for in 20,000 Roads Baton Rouge signals devastation 10

for the highway crews side of the job

I say it sure is a bummer 11

for you whistle
past the graveyard

for if we make it through December 15

for to perform for you

for no cover Tuesdays at 6

for La Ve En Rose


for Sly and Family Stone

for somewhere over the rainbow

For rendition and rendition’s sake

for alone on the road deep in the night

for everything’s getting bigger but our love 13

for the (repossessing) furniture man

for Billie Joe MaCallister

for these boots


for Frank never sang a syllable unintelligibly

much less a word

for Kevin Keaney to sing Summer Wind (8/31/04)


for karaoke nights at the Colma Bowl

for happy birthday
 to you

por Buddy
 14

for Precious 15

for spending one hour a day alone with my grief

for a kid’l eat ivy too

for the whole lost ship of them

though no one sings for the whale

ever at all

for Roky has always been here before

for the Creature With the Atom Brain

for I’m not Buchanan

For I don’t look like him but I am him

for you are going to miss me

for I walked with a zombie

for you don’t love me yet

for the social and political injustices

for two headed dog

for please judge

for something extra

for I pledge allegiance

for I promise

for never say goodbye 16


for Alma Mae



for persuading the hack to hang it up

for the great emotional connections


for the great emotional wrenchings

for our town
 17

for Saras Bread Company

for Kossoff sounds like molten gold 18

for Don Cornelius


for more

for play










1 Otis

2 Neil Young, "Tonight's the Night"

3 Peter Tosh

4 Ernie K-Doe, Emperor of the Universe

5 "I don't understand"

6 Jolie Holland

7 Al Green, Full of Fire

8 the Menhayden Chanteymen sung

9 a Copping of the Diction of Christopher Smart

10 Graham Parsons "now I know just what to do"

11 Richard Russell, Light Maintenance Foreman, Booneville NY

12 Merle Haggard a Plumber from Wasco

13 Legendary Stardust Cowboy

14 Bella Kittinski

15 Bryant, the Truth

16 Roky Erickson Titles or Lyrics of

17 Iris Dement

18 Paul All Right Now